Grumman SA-16

The SA-16 was an all-metal, high-wing amphibian aircraft with a four-man crew and a capacity for up to ten passengers.

It was powered by two 1,275 hp Wright engines with three-bladed variable-pitch propellers.

The Air Force officially received its first SA-16 in 1958 (HU-16A from 1962) to replace the last Cant Z.506S of Air Rescue. 

The amphibians were assigned to the 140th at Vigna di Valle and the 141st at Grottaglie. Their deployment took place partly at sea and partly on land. 

From 1976, with the arrival of the new HH-3F helicopters, the gradual phasing out of the SA-16s began, with their final flight taking place in August 1979.

The ones in the best condition are displayed at the 31st Wing in Ciampino and at the Historical Museum of the Italian Air Force in Vigna di Valle (RM).

Technical Data:

  • Length: 18.95 m;
  • Height: 7.39 m;
  • Wing area: 135.35 sq m;
  • Wingspan: 24.38 m;
  • Kerb weight: 9.125 kg; 
  • Total weight: 12.270 kg;
  • Maximum speed: 423 km/h;
  • Range: 4,320 km.

For more information, please consult the store. Amazon of the Italian Air Force at the following link: